Friday, May 21, 2010

How do you fix cosmetic cracks in cedar clapboard siding.?

I recently bought a home. The inspector listed some cracks in siding to either repair or replace. When I questioned him about the severity, he did not feel there was major damage, just mostly cosmetic and that I could wait to address when houses needs restaining again in a few years. However, I would like to know if there is something i can use to fill in some of the little cracks, etc.

How do you fix cosmetic cracks in cedar clapboard siding.?
if the crack isnt causing the boards to fall off, then a stainable putty can be used. Another option may be to cut out the damaged section (preferrably at a stud) and retack a new piece up (this can be a pain, though, depending how tight the adjacent boards above it are.)
Reply:I have the same kind of siding - you can paint into the cracks if they are small enough - wider cracks you can put some good outdoor caulk into. I recommend something easily available like ALEX 25 year latex caulk - easy to apply and clean up with minimal crack shrinkage. Also see what you local Home improvement center recommends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net